Thursday, April 21, 2011

Curbing the Matthew Effect

Caroline was one week shy of her first birthday when I took my first class toward my master's degree in reading instruction, 'Foundations.' In this class, my instructor, Darcy Crocker, first clued me into the research-based "Matthew Effect" in reading: that when it comes to the vocabulary, background knowledge, and understanding of how books are structured that assist beginning readers in tackling early literacy skills, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer." Ms. Crocker explained that the development of oral vocabulary and word knowledge that begins at birth and explodes from ages 1-3 plays a huge role in mastering literacy skills. This is both exhilarating and overwhelming at the same time! Basically, continuously speaking to our children and engaging them in conversation (whether they can reciprocate or not) can get them ready to read! Sounds easy, right?

Well, constant babbling is easier said than done. For the weeks after completing my practicum on oral vocabulary development, I tried to speak to Caroline constantly, to the point of driving myself and my husband crazy. At my lowest point,  I have to admit that I found myself reciting things I had to memorize in high school (Hamlet's soliloquy,  the Preamble to the Constitution, etc.) just in order to have something to say! In hindsight.......RIDICULOUS! I had completely gotten sidetracked on the constant babbling and forgotten the really important point- developing word knowledge of vocabulary words that the kid would actually use!

With Camden, I have to remind myself to make an effort to continue to engage in conversation, as I normally have Caroline in tow and she demands a lot of attention! I have found that is easiest for me to develop his vocabulary by giving him a running record of what I am doing while I am getting him dressed (example: "Now we are going to put the white sock on the left foot. After that, we put your brown shoe on your left foot. Yay! We are all dressed now!"), while I am making dinner ("I am going to cut up the lettuce into little pieces so we can eat them. I will also cut some red tomatoes to add to the salad. Tomatoes are round and yummy!"), or while I am driving ("It is time for us to turn right onto the Interstate. Watch out for the white car that is coming! I look both ways before I make the turn.") I know it seems a little silly, and it takes some getting used to, but by explaining what you are doing while you are doing it, you are exposing your child to vocabulary they will actually need to acquire, thus preparing them for oral language and conversation!

I have also found it helpful to encourage Caroline to speak with Camden, even though he can't necessarily carry on the conversation with her. I ask her to explain things to him, like a picture she drew or a game she wants to play. Even though he does not yet have a grasp of the words needed to speak to us, he uses other communication skills (like gestures or facial expressions) to demonstrate that he appreciates being included!

Help your child escape the Matthew Effect by becoming vocabulary-rich, getting him or her ready for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment